Thursday, May 30, 2013

Home!

 Hugs for Curious George!
We've seen a pretty amazing transformation over the last two days.  Theo has gone from lying on his back, sleeping all day and not smiling to smiling non-stop, laughing, and being very vocal.  It's like he couldn't dream of a happier place.  And we are LOVING it.  It makes all of the recent challenges worth it.

Theo has some work to do in the physical training department.  I doubt he'll be ready for the 2014 Olympics.  What's pretty cool is that Theo has been working with a wonderful physical therapist named Dianne since he was discharged from the NICU.  She came to visit him twice while he was in the PICU, and as soon as Nick called her on Wednesday and said, "We need help," she came right over to work with Theo.  And honestly, he's already getting stronger in the two days he's been home.  I know that sounds crazy, but we've both noticed that he's better at holding his head up now when we hold him, and he's rolled over a few times.  I think being home is where he needed to be.


Unfortunately, the kidney is still getting her beauty sleep.  We keep praying that she'll wake up!  Cool Aunt Whit has threatened to fly back out here and give her a stern talkin' to.  I guess the good news is that Theo's labs have not been terrible for the last two days, so he hasn't had dialysis.  He will definitely be dialyzed tomorrow morning after his labs at 7:30 am, but it's nice that his body can handle two days off.

Nick and I are doing our best to settle into a new routine.  All the medications, the scheduling, the daily trips to the hospital, and the effort we make to invest in Theo and keep our jobs is worth it.  Simply put, we love having Theo home.
Happiest kid around!

I keep asking myself what God wants to do through Theo.  I don't know the answer.  But I am excited to find out!  And in the meantime, I thank God for bringing us where we are now.  One of the most repeated songs in our house is "Amazing Grace".  (Believe it or not, Theo would always lie still through his daily catheter care when I started to sing it.  "Amazing Grace" and "I Will Survive" were the magic songs.  Go figure.)  My favorite verse for the time being is this:

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment